Wednesday, August 25, 2010

To swaddle or not to swaddle? That is the question.

Well, we are still swaddling...

I tried two nights in a row of not swaddling. I had great intentions of fighting this swaddle battle and winning. Both nights, Daniel and I got up at least 5 times to replace the pacifier. You know those things that people put on their sunglasses to keep them around their necks? Well, they need stretchy strappy things like that for pacifiers to keep them in place. But then some child would strangle so it's probably not a great idea. I digress. I finally gave in and in order to get a full uninterrupted night of sleep I decided to go ahead and swaddle SJ last night. The result...11.5 uninterrupted hours of sleep for Sarah. Ugh, so I guess we will continue to swaddle until she just fights it too much. It is mostly to keep her arms still so that she will go right to sleep...which she always does. She can still move her legs and kick and roll side to side (not rolling all the way over yet).
Not sure how to "wean" her off swaddling or if it really matters. I have tried letting her sleep with one arm out and she does fine. I've tried both arms out...not so fine. So for now, both arms are in and we are all sleeping soundly. We'll probably keep this up. I may be sewing these swaddlers for her when she's turning 1 but we'll sort that out when we get there. If you have any ideas for weaning her off the swaddling, please let me know. Oh and I have to say that she has napped without being swaddled for about a week now. She does GREAT...sleeps at least an hour and a half. So I'm perplexed as to why she does not sleep at night without the swaddle.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

love that pic!!! so lovely.
we had issues transitioning from swaddle too and found this - http://www.pekemoe.co.nz may help? good luck!

Melanie said...

While we were looking at Sarah's pictures, Riley just said "Sawah?" How cute is that?! Sarah should feel special, Riley only has about 10 words she says!

Shanna said...

You don't know me. I'm a friend of Shawn's and I was just checking out some of her friends blogs and found your blog, but I had to comment...is that weird??? If so, sorry. But...my girls LOVED to be swaddled so they were probably swaddled until they were 6 months or maybe even longer. They did exactly what your little girl has done. They weaned from nap time swaddling so easily, but then it took many attempts for the night time weaning. We would try it and when they woke themselves up, we'd revert back to swaddling. Wait a few weeks and try again. Eventually they did wean. I just always voted for sleeping over weaning them before they were ready. LOL. Hang in there!!! She will get it!